Saturday, December 20, 2014

Zaragoza, Spain

Zaragoza, is between Madrid and Barcelona very easy to visit from either city.
Of course the best way to get here is high-speed rail, this is the train departing from Barcelona Saints Station.
 This is Zaragoza main station.
 Spain was once ruled by the Moors of Northern Africa, this was one of their Islamic fortified palaces called the Aljaferia.
 Very beautiful inside, this was built in the 11th century.
 Today, it only cost 5 euro to break through this fortification.
 Not far from the palace is the Basilica–Cathedral of Our Lady of the Pillar and the piazza Nuestra Senora del Pilar.
 Mid-evil mass transit.
 The Piazza Nuestra Senora del Pilar had a christmas market, this morning was a low fog over the city and the top of the basilica.
 This the Catedral del Salvador or Cathedral of the Savior, they would not let me inside because of mass... I tried the explain, well, yeah, I'm here for mass.  But they did not believe my because I think I look to much like an American Tourist trying to sneak past the door person.
 Looking across the stone bridge over the Ebro river.
 A stone relief, I think Francisco Goya made this, but in this case they years on the relief makes no sense.  So maybe this is not a Goya.
 Goya is not from Zaragoza but he is from a town not far from here.  I think Zaragoza adopted him.
 Another view of the Puente de Piedra and the Basilica.
 Crazy wall art.
 I was walking down a quiet street when I started hearing lots of music.  Turns out the piazza San Pedro Nolasco was having a beer and music festival.  I like how they pained the side of this building too.
 The Zaragoza train station is amazing and large.  The platform is on the lower level.
 But the few coffee shops that are in this building are on the upper level.  You can only enter the lower level of one side of the building so you need to plan time to walk from the cafe to the platform so that you don't miss your train.
  
Oh-yeah, Zaragoza is known for Tapas, Tapas are everywhere.   For now Spain was the last country I visited in Europe before leaving Italy and I think it's my favorite European country outside Italy.  Hope to visit again soon.

#EatTapas

No comments:

Post a Comment