Monday, September 2, 2013

Quartiere Delle Ceramiche

The old town of Grottaglie is famous for ceramics.  There are many shops and artiest in this area who make ceramics, even made to order.
 Roosters area a theme of many of the ceramics here, you can find roosters on plates and other objects at most of the stores.
In the center of the ceramic district a the old castle that houses the Museo Delle Ceramica or the Museum of Ceramics.
 Someone left their art supplies inside a statue.
 A major theme of this museum is the Nativity of Jesus in ceramics.
 This is just a small number of scenes in this museum.
 I think I could have a shop reproduce one of these sets for me, when you walk through the museum you start to realize the skills locals have in this area.
 Best of all, I think this a free museum, at least no one charged me for admission.
 This was a really cute statue, birds in a bird bath.
 The court yard of the castle is really old-school, the museum is located in the halls around the courtyard and on the roof.
 A few old trees in the corner of the courtyard.
 Across the street from the main entrance is a garden with grape vines and walking path.
 I swear I can't figure out when it is time to pick grapes.  These things look ready to pick but yet they just sit on the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment